Monday, June 28, 2010

Arsenic and Old Lace

My first attempt at completing my internship was up on the Gold Coast, mainly because I wanted to visit my sister who I never see. SO I rang or emailed basically every theatre on the Gold Coast and Brisbane. Most replied saying they don't take on work experience students or are already in full swing of a production and didn't need any more help, or they were not doing anything in the time that I quoted IE the holidays. I don't wont to leave UNI to complete the internship.

The ONLY email I received with a positive reply was from Dawn, who manages the wardrobe at GOLD COAST LITTLE THEATRE. She said I could follow her around while the finishing touches were being made for their lates production ARSENIC AND OLD LACE. She said she could offer me some guidance and experience. SO it sounded pretty good.

This is what I did at GCLT-


*The first day I met all cast and crew and watched the rehearsal. It is an un-professional community theatre where no one is payed, it is a volunteer, hobby theatre.

*I was able to see how a different theatre operates even though it is only a small theatre and very similar to the Wagga playhouse.

*Dawn showed me trough all of the costumes that have been collected over many year. Dawn has just finished organizing them all and has doe an impeccable job. It was exciting to go through them all, there are many antique pieces that would be worth a fair bit of money.

* helped Dawn rearrange the costume rom to free up he space and organized the fabric.

*I helped source a few things such as glasses and bow ties.

*I also went to another small theater with Dawn to help with another fitting for a production that Dawn is sewing costumes for.

There was not much more to do o the costumes so I sat with the PROPS crew for a night of rehears ls. I helped finish up some of the props IE attached all of the manuscripts. I couldn't do much more so jut observed the play, SM, ASM, actors and props form backstage.

The next night of rehearsals I sat behind the lighting and sound crew in the box behind the audience. The crew are TAFE STUDENTS studying stage lighting. The lighting desk is quite old and state are not able to be programmed into desk and are operated by manually turning em up nd down on the actual desk. I wasn't able to actually operate however did observe them. There were hardly any ques though.

After observing the cast and crew ad seeing the play over 10 times I knew ther was not much more I could do other then watch everyone and the play again and again. It was opening night the next day anyhow. SO I decided I had warn out my time there and gathered as much information as I was going to get nd decided to say my goodbyes.

ALL up I did 16 hours.

IN THE MEAN TIME- While I was at The Little Theatre I rang around some other theatres asking again if they had anything available for me even if could just observe for a week. I received a reply from the ARTS CENTRE here ie the main theatre on the Gold Coast currently staging Mother Africa. They said they are in full swing of the show hence there would not be anything for me to do however they have my details and would call if anything came up in the future. They were very nice however its a shame I can not see it through as I am heading back to Wagga tomorrow.

WHAT NOW?

SO I am now needing to complete another week or more internship.

*I am filling out a form for work experience at New Castle OXFORD PLAYHOUSE which sounds promising.

*Scott mentioned something for the THIS IS NOT ART festival in New Castle (I want to go to NEW CASTE as my Dad lives there and would also be the place I would eventually love to live)

*I have rang bangara a few times and am waiting for a contact form Blu but this one also sounds promising.

FINGERS CROSSED

No comments:

Post a Comment